Monday, January 4, 2010

Prayer

I was recently reading a book entitled "Ordering your private world" with the rest of our staff by Gordan MacDonald....in it was this little paragraph on prayer which goes along with other things God is teaching me lately...thought i'd share....

"Until we believe that prayer indeed is a highly significant activity, that it does in fact reach beyond space and time to the God who is actually there, we will never aquire the habits of continual worship and intercession. In order to aquire these habits we must overcome the part of us that thinks that prayer is not a natural part of life."

This kind of goes along with one thing that God has challenged me with at our New Year's conference. Our theme for the conference was "Think Big. Start Small. Go Deep." As we heard about "thinking big" and I began to watch over the course of 4 days God work in big ways in so many hearts....I was very humbled by my lack of faith in God! Instead of asking God for one or two girls in the dorms to come to Christ and get involved with our ministry....do I not believe that God could do a work throughout the dorm? We had one girl on the soccer team come to NYC and as she made committments to not just be a Christian but a laborer for God I found myself dreaming and asking God that next year.....there is several soccer players who know God and worship him....something that seems impossible now when there is only one Christian on the team. I was reminded that God can do anything! All things are possible with him and he is there and I should ask him to do great things because he is a great God!!!

Another book that shows this is "Practicing the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence...a cook in a monastary. He writes....

"I turn my little omlete in the pan for the love of God. When it is finished if I have nothing to do, I prostrate myself on the ground and worship my God, who gave me the grace to make it. After which I arise happier than a king."

God is in all things, he has made all things and is lord of all things...how easily we forget! Colossians 1:9-29

"Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God."--Dawson Trotman

1 comments:

Brian Hall said...

Thank you for the reminder! Sometimes it's hard to remember that God is much larger than we can fit into our feeble minds. Prayer is one of those places I have always struggled with... at least with constant prayer. "If God can read my mind..." Remembering that the outcry of our hearts is our voice to Him, is something that I need daily...hourly... well just all the time.