Sunday, June 28, 2009

Jen is a senior at Troy University. She is one of our leaders at the summer beach project and sent this update.

"Our theme for this summer is "Unashamed" and our theme verse for the summer is 2 Timothy 1:12 "That is why I am suffering as I am, yet I am not ashamed because I know whom I have believed and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day."

Paul wrote this second letter to Timothy while he (Paul)was in prison about to be executed, so this letter was his last. Through the whole book, he encourages Timothy to live the life of a disciple - a true follower of Christ who lives for God's glory, no matter the cost, because he should be completely convinced of the work
of Jesus. The message of 2 Timothy is not only a call to live unashamed of the gospel of Christ, but it's also a challenge to examine our faith and think about if we're really convinced of what we believe, even to the point of suffering. God calls us to an extreme,radical faith in the gospel, and personally, I have been very
challenged to pursue this sort of depth in my beliefs.

So for the past week, we have been enjoying the beach project environment, studying 2Timothy, going to nightly training session and talks, having discipleship groups, and learning how to share our faith with others in the city. Please pray for a spirit of brokenness on the project, that all of us, disciples and leaders alike, would really see our need for Christ and his complete sufficiency in our weakness. (2Corinthians 12:9 - But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you,for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.)

I am loving spending time with the girls in my group, and I am very encouraged to see their desire to grow and spend time with God, even while being tired and stressed from work. Please pray that there would be a close bond between us, and that our group time would foster an environment of true trust. For Amanda, Brynn, and Jessica, please pray that they would grow in their understanding of the gospel of Christ and that it is relevant and applies to every area of their lives, including their pasts, their attitudes at work, and the way that they relate with others on the project.

Thank you all so much for you encouragement and your prayers. As Paul wrote "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow,"(1 Corinthians 3:6) so even if we plant and water the seeds,ultimately God is responsible for the growth in our lives! Please pray that he would grow the seeds that are being planted in these students' hearts!!

0 comments: